Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sitting the Bench

A regulation basketball game requires five players on the court from each team. Coaches will sit additional players on the bench as second and third string players. There are times that a player may get injured, close to fouling out or just needs a rest and the coach will sit that player on the bench and substitute with another player. The view from the bench, of course, is different than when a player is actually playing in the game. They can focus on the the other teams strategy more. They can see improvements that need to be made by their team members. And if they are a thinker and learn easily visually,  they can sometimes improve their game from the bench. Coaches will sometimes sit a player for these very reasons, he needs the player to see the game from a different view.

When I began attending my church I found it very easy to sit in the same area and become acquainted with familiar faces. I'm terrible with names!! LOL! By doing that, I was able to become comfortable with my new church home and help it not feel so big. But the problem was , I got comfortable in one area. God told me to change my view. Well I didn't want to move, the view was great. I was close to the pulpit, out of camera range and I knew the regulars that sat in that area. No need to ask if you needed a church home or any of that I knew they were members or long time repeat visitors!! No discomfort when the Pastor said turn to your neighbor. So why did I need to change my view. Well I had a ministry assignment one Sunday and had to sit in a different area in order to complete my assignment. Way back in the back, in the 200 floor section is what I call it, almost to the wall. I'm easily distracted, ok noisy, so sitting in a seat like that was a challenge for me. But in my obedience, God spoke to me. He said "look at your view. Things are different back here and you see more than you've ever seen before. If you don't change your view, you won't grow and you won't see all that I am trying to show you." WOW!!!

God is showing you a new thing, but you can't see it because you are looking at the same old stuff. You need a fresh new view. I would suggest starting with your seat at church...after all it's not really your seat!! In changing your view, you will be faced with new distractions. But you should be mature enough to identify those distractions and shut them down in your mind. If not, now is a great time to start practicing. In order for God to use you, you have to be open to change and moving outside of your comfort zones.  God is made perfect in your weakness, not your comfort. And we all know that being uncomfortable is a very weak and vulnerable place. So don't be afraid to sit the bench and see your life and the things around you from a different view. God has got some truly wonderful things to show you!!

Luv Ya!!
IB

No comments:

Post a Comment